Antilock Braking System (ABS) for bicycles
• Energy self-sufficient bicycle ABS
• All system components encapsulated in the front wheel hub
• Compatible with standard mechanical and hydraulic disc brakes
Cycling is with no doubt an inexpensive, environmentally friendly and healthy way of transportation. However, it also involves the risk of a fall, especially for the inexperienced rider. One of the most dangerous situations are the front wheel lock up and the resulting loss of control or a rollover as a result of an over-braked front wheel. These two riding situations can be avoided with an actively engaging safety system (ABS). An ABS in general requires a constant power supply which is usually not guaranteed in conventional bicycles. Hence its current use is limited to motor vehicles and e-bikes.
Bilder & Videos
The innovative solution to this challenge is a bicycle ABS in which all necessary components, including an electrical generator, a rechargeable backup battery, a clutch, actuators and control electronics are integrated in the front wheel hub. This makes the system completely self-contained so that both e-bikes and bicycles can be equipped or upgraded with it. In addition, all components of the original brake system can still be used.
- Not limited to e-bikes and/or proprietary e-bike drive-systems.
- ABS as an upgrade option and/or after-sales solution.
- System expansion for e-drive manufacturers who do not offer ABS yet.
- System-specific control logic successfully simulated in Matlab® with the help of a multi-body simulation of a bicycle.
- Clutch test bench available (Fig. 1).
- Test benches available for all machine elements by the end of 2020.
- Prototype for test rides expected to be available by the end of 2021.
- DE anhängig