Virus-mimetic nanoparticles for diabetic nephropathy
- Specific drug delivery via nanoparticles
- Virus like targeting in a two-stage process
- Dose reduction compared to free drug
Poor target cell specificity is currently a major shortcoming of nanoparticles used for biomedical applications. It causes significant material loss to off-target sites and poor availability at the intended delivery site. To overcome this limitation, designed nano-particles that identify cells in a virus-like manner could provide a solution to this problem.
Bilder & Videos
The invention described here involves virus-mimetic nanoparticles that are able to transport drugs into the mesangium of the kidney. The nanoparticles use a novel sequential recognition process that is used in a similar way by viruses to recognize their target cells. In contrast to other nanomaterials, the virus-mimetic particles are able to effectively accumulate in the cells of the mesangium. By encapsulating drug candidates such as pirfenidone or cinaciguat, a rational treatment of diabetic nephropathy can be promised for the first time, which occurs in 40% of the more than 400 million people with diabetes worldwide and for whom there is currently no treatment option other than dialysis and organ transplantation.
Drug Delivery for Diabetic Nephropathy
Publikationen & Verweise
1. Fleischmann, D., Maslanka Figueroa, S., Beck, S., Abstiens, K., Witzgall, R., Schweda, F., … Goepferich, A. M. (2020). Adenovirus Mimetic Nanoparticles: Sequential Ligand-Receptor Interplay as a Universal Tool for Enhanced In Vitro/In Vivo Cell Identification. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces.
2. Maslanka Figueroa, S., Fleischmann, D., Beck, S., Tauber, P., Witzgall, R., Schweda, F., & Goepferich, A. (2020). Nanoparticles Mimicking Viral Cell Recognition Strategies Are Superior Transporters into Mesangial Cells. Advanced Science,
3. Maslanka Figueroa, S., Veser, A., Abstiens, K., Fleischmann, D., Beck, S., & Goepferich, A. (2019). Influenza A virus mimetic nanoparticles trigger selective cell uptake. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences
Weitere Information zum Herunterladen
- 436 Ki